Thursday, October 2, 2014

WoT Stats Paralysis: Lights to the Rescue!


For quite a few months now I have not been having as much fun as I could have by sweating stats and performance in an effort to stay a viable candidate for joining a clan.  That being said, my primary focus has been on the British medium and heavy lines to have them finished by the time they release their end of the line replacements.   The British lines are fairly challenging with few of those tanks are able to reliably carry a match.  Armor on the mediums and heavies are dodgy at best, needing to stay hull down to perform to any degree.  The TDs once you get to the AT-15 starts to shine and their arty till this point is pretty lack luster.  The E50 is making it slowly to the end by being part of the daily rotation.

All of this has kinda put a damper on things.  Until…

The new lights came out in patch 9.3!  I had played all of the end of the line scouts and really liked the RU251 and enjoyed the novelty of the T49.  So I bought the T37 and the VK16.02 Leopard and got to work.  Now I started off playing only to get the daily double done so as not to mess up my WN8 as I tend not to do much damage in scouts as I focus more on spotting and passive scouting.  This worked out pretty well for a few days, even skipped them on bad days so as not to make things worse.

Then a funny thing happened.  After I finished my dailies on my ‘main’ lineup, I started in on the T37 and VK16.02 Leopard.  Something clicked.  I just had fun driving these zippy little tanks around the battlefield, learning where I could hide and not hide, when to flank and when I could afford a potshot.  While my WN8 cratered and my WR took a dip, courtesy of the T37, I started to realize I did not care.  Out of 61 games last night, 49 of them were in scouts!

Perhaps the realization that WN8 does not take into spotting data, the bread and butter of scouts.  Perhaps it was the zippy, fun play style that loosened my view on stats.  Perhaps it’s the realization that I am not actively looking for a clan at all, in which case, my stats really don’t matter to anyone but me.  Perhaps it’s the realization that my real enjoyment is being a completionist and finishing lines. 

Maybe all of it combined ;)

When I get home tonight, I think the cycle will be the same.  After all of my higher tiers get their dailies done, I will grind the hell out of my scouts.  Despite not liking the T54S, I will probably pick up the Russian scout, MT-25, and add it to the scout rotation.

As a parting shot, here is a video of my VK16.02 Leopard Ace Mastery Badge:


Farewell and happy tanking!

No comments:

Post a Comment